How Do I?

How Do I?

The Nebraska State Patrol is Nebraska's only statewide full-service law enforcement agency. NSP also handles additional services for citizens of Nebraska, including the issuance of concealed handgun permits, fingerprinting, and much more. For information about those and other services, check out our "How Do I" section for some of the most frequent question we receive.

How Do I File a Complaint

The Nebraska State Patrol values feedback from the public and is committed to investigating any complaints. Click here to file a complaint.

How do I follow Nebraska’s Child Restraints laws?

The best resource for information on child restraint laws can be found here, via the Nebraska Department of Transportation.

  • All children up to age eight must ride correctly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat.
  • Children ride rear-facing until up to age two or until they reach the upper weight or height limit allowed by the car seat’s manufacturer.
  • Children under age eight must ride in the back seat, as long as there is a back seat equipped with a seatbelt and is not already occupied by other children under eight years of age.
  • Children ages eight to eighteen must ride secured in a safety belt or child safety seat (booster seat).
  • Childcare providers must transport all children securely in an appropriate federally-approved child safety seat or safety belt.
  • Children up to age eighteen are prohibited from riding in cargo areas.
  • Violation carries a $25 fine plus court costs and 1 point is assessed against the operator’s driving record.


  • Read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your child safety seat and the vehicle owner's manual.
  • No more than one finger's width of slack between the child's collar bone & the harness strap.
  • The harness retainer clip should be at arm pit level.
  • The safety seat should be installed tight. No more than one inch of movement side to side or front to back, AT THE BELT PATH.
  • Children should ride in a rear facing safety seat until they are at least two years of age or until they reach the upper weight or height limit allowed by the car seat’s manufacturer.
  • NEVER place a rear-facing child safety seat the front seat of a vehicle equipped with an air bag.
  • If a forward facing child MUST be placed in a seating position with an air bag, move the seat as far back as possible, out of the bags path.
  • Older children, generally ages 4-8 and 40 -80 pounds should ride in a booster seat. Be certain they have upper body protection and head support. Some vehicles have no shoulder belts or head restraints in the back seats.

All children 12 and under should ride in the back seat; the safest place. Proper installation is important for your child's safety.Check our web site for the next Child Safety Seat check up near you or contact a Nationally Certified Technician for assistance.

How do I file a Public Information Request?

If you wish to file a Public Records Request, please follow the instructions and online submission form found here:

Submit a Public Records Request

How do I find out if Nebraska has a Motorcycle Helmet law?

Yes. Nebraska does have a motorcycle helmet law. See State Statute 60-6,279.

How do I look up a traffic law?

You may look up all laws by visiting the Nebraska Unicameral website.

How do I find out if there is a sex offender living in my neighborhood?

The Nebraska State Patrol Sex Offender Registry (SOR) found on the Nebraska State Patrol website, provides a list of all registered sex offenders living in the state of Nebraska. The list is searchable in numerous ways. A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) can also be found on the SOR webpage.

The information provided by the Sex Offender Registry is to be used to provide public notice and information about a registrant so a community can develop constructive plans to prepare themselves and their family.

Sex Offender Registry information shall not be used to retaliate against the registrants, their families, or their employers in any way. Vandalism, verbal or written threats of harm are illegal and will result in arrest and prosecution. In the Quick Links box above, you will find a link to the Sex Offender Registry.

How do I find out if my teenager is allowed to drive with an out of state permit in Nebraska?

The State of Nebraska honors licenses/permits issued by other states provided all the provisions of the license or permit are followed (such as being accompanied by a parent, etc.).

How do I get a copy of a criminal history?

The public may request a record of Arrest and Prosecution (RAP) sheet for individuals. The RAP sheet includes arrests and resulting dispositions. Dispositions are the result of the adjudication process and may include convictions, null pros, acquittals and nullified convictions through set-asides and pardons.

You may request a report, by mail, in person, or online. For detailed information on requesting a criminal history visit the Criminal History Report page of the NSP website.

Or, call (402) 479-4971 for more information

The request must include the following information about the individual

Last name
First name
Date of Birth
Social Security number (if available)

How do I get my fingerprints taken?

The Nebraska State Patrol provides fingerprinting as a service to the public at all six Troop Areas across the state. Click here for a complete list of locations and ways to schedule a fingerprint appointment. 

How do I find out if my out of state Concealed Handgun Permit is recognized in Nebraska?

The Nebraska Attorney General's Office determines the states from which Nebraska recognizes Concealed Handgun Permits.

As of August 30, 2009, Nebraska will recognize CHP permits issued by those states on the below list which the Nebraska Attorney General has determined have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska. This recognition extends ONLY to persons who are NOT residents of Nebraska. This change in the law allows non-resident permit holders from the approved states to carry handguns concealed in Nebraska the same as if they held a Nebraska permit. See our regulations on this website for restrictions on places where a concealed weapon can carried.

Click here for more information including a list of approved and not approved states.

How do I get a copy of my crash/accident report?

Accident reports for the State of Nebraska are kept by the Nebraska Department of Transportation, Department of Records. You may call them at (402) 479-4645 or view the information on their website at the following link: Accident Reports

How do I pay a citation?

The Nebraska State Patrol does not collect fines for citations. Fines are paid to the County in which the citation is written. The Nebraska Judicial Branch does allow you to pay your citations on-line. Please click on the following link: Waiverable Citation Payment System. You will need your citation (ticket) in order to complete the process. If you don’t have your citation (ticket) you may access the following link to gather the information -  

Where do I go for a NSP Explosive Permit?
How do I Search Missing Persons?

You may search for missing persons in the state of Nebraska using any one of the fields below or a combination of fields. Once you have entered the information you wish to search by click the 'Search' button to display the results. You do not have to know the name of the missing person.

Click here to start a search.

How do I apply for a concealed handgun permit?


Important, please note:

You must update your information with the DMV first, then allow up to 3 days for the changes to post before requesting a CHP renewal, data change, or lost/stolen replacement.
If you are updating information and also need to renew, please submit a renewal request only.

Renew your CHP ($50 renewal fee plus $4.50 online renewal charge)
Update your name or address on your CHP (no charge)
Request a replacement for your lost or stolen CHP (no charge)


You must:

Complete an approved handgun training and safety course, and
Complete a Concealed Handgun Permit Application,
Present the application and necessary documentation in person to the nearest Nebraska State Patrol Headquarters.

Further information and links can be found here.