How to Apply, Renew or Update Name/Address
Documentation needed for CCW Initial & Renewal Permit applications:
- You must appear in person when applying for an initial or renewal permit. Please click the here to find the NSP location nearest you to make an appointment.
- Completed, signed and notarized application form (check the appropriate box for new or renewal)
Proof of identification - Current NE driver's license or NE state issued ID or current military ID
- Proof of citizenship (not required for renewals) - Certified state issued birth certificate, naturalization papers, certificate of citizenship from immigration authorities or a current or expired US passport
- Proof of address - (the address on the application must match the provided documentation) NE driver's license or NE state ID issued at least 180 days prior to application date, active military duty station orders, or two of the following items: utility bill, bank statement, valid Nebraska vehicle registration, Nebraska voter registration card, pay stub or earnings statement, mortgage or lease agreement or tax documents issued at least 180 days prior to application date.
- Proof of training (not required for renewals) - Original or certified copy of Certificate of Completion of a Handgun Training and Safety Course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol
- The first and last name must be the same on all documentation - If your name is different on any of the documentation, please provided certified documentation for proof of name change such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or a court order.
- Application Fee - $100.00 for a new application, $50.00 for a renewal application. Payment must be cash or check.
- Fingerprints and Photographs taken at the time of application submittal
Current permit holders wishing to renew a permit to carry a concealed handgun may do so anytime within four (4) months prior to the expiration of their current permit. A permit holder letting their current permit expire without applying for a renewal will be required to apply for a new permit and meet all of the requirements for a new permit including a new training course and the $100 fee.
How to update name or address on permit:
- Fill out the application form and mark it as a "Personal Data Change".
- The application needs to be signed but does NOT have to be notarized.
- Mail the completed application to the Criminal Identification Division in Lincoln, OR deliver the application to any NSP Troop Area office.
- We will need to see your updated Driver's License (state issued temporary license is acceptable) or photo ID showing your new address and your current permit. Photo copies of these documents should be included if you are mailing in the application.
- No appointment is necessary to come in for a personal data change.
Documentation need for Concealed Firearm Instructor:
Per Title 272, Nebraska Administrative Code, Chapter 21, you must appear in person when applying for an initial or renewal instructor certification. The following information is required:
- Completed, signed, and notarized application form
- Proof of identification – Current driver’s license, state issued ID card, and/or current military ID
- Proof of citizenship – Certified state issued birth certificate, naturalization papers, certificate of citizenship from immigration authorities, or a current or expired U.S. passport
- A notarized Firearms Instructor Certification to teach handgun courses
- Proposed course curriculum
- $12.50 criminal history check fee – Cash or check only
- Fingerprints and photograph taken at the time of application submittal
CCW and Instructor applicants must present a completed application form and necessary documentation in person. An appointment is required. A list of locations and times can be found on the Conceal Carry Information page of the NSP website.