Official Nebraska Government Website

Prorate/Fuel Permits

A 72-hour permit must be purchased online through: (under Motor Carrier Services).

-The permit(s) must be obtained before entering the state.

-Vehicle/driver must be in possession of the paper or electronic copy the permit(s).

Fuel permits cost $20.00 with a $2.00 portal fee.
Prorate permits cost $25.00 with a $2.00 portal fee.

Who needs a 72-hour permit?

A carrier operating a fleet of one or more vehicles in the State of Nebraska that are used for the transportation of person, for hire, or designed used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and is a vehicle qualifying as one of these:

1. A power unit having 2 axles and a gross weight or registered gross vehicle
weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or

2. A power unit having 3 or more axles regardless of weight, or

3. Used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination
exceeds 26,00 pounds.

A vehicle approptioned with Nebraska through its home state does not need a proration permit and a vehicle with an IFTA permit does not need a fuel permit.