Official Nebraska Government Website

Q. Is my teenager allowed to drive in Nebraska with his/her out of state driver's permit?

A: The State of Nebraska honors licenses/permits issued by other states provided all the provisions of the license or permit are followed (such as being accompanied by a parent, etc.).


Q. How do I find out if there is a sex offender living in my neighborhood?

The Nebraska State Patrol Sex Offender Registry (SOR) found on the Nebraska State Patrol website, provides a list of all registered sex offenders living in the state of Nebraska. The list is searchable in numerous ways. A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) can also be found on the SOR webpage.

The information provided by the Sex Offender Registry is to be used to provide public notice and information about a registrant so a community can develop constructive plans to prepare themselves and their family.

Sex Offender Registry information shall not be used to retaliate against the registrants, their families, or their employers in any way. Vandalism, verbal or written threats of harm are illegal and will result in arrest and prosecution. In the Quick Links box above, you will find a link to the Sex Offender Registry.


Q. Is there a place I can look up traffic laws?

A: You may look up all laws by visiting the Nebraska Unicameral website.


Q. What is the total vehicle length allowed on Nebraska roadways?

A: Nebraska does allow a combination of vehicles (i.e. pickup, trailer, and boat); however, the total length of the combination of vehicles cannot exceed 65 feet. You can find more information here.


Q. Does Nebraska Have a Motorcycle Helmet Law?

A: Yes, State Statute 60-6,279.

Q. How do I file a Public Information Request?

A: Public Records requests should be in writing and can be:

  • Faxed to the attention of the Nebraska State Patrol Legal Division at 
  • Emailed or Mailed to: Nebraska State Patrol
                   Legal Division- Public Records Request
                   P.O. Box 94907
                   Lincoln, Nebraska

Q. What is Nebraska's Law when it comes to Child Restraints?

A: Nebraska's child passenger restraint and occupant protection law is a primary law. Any person driving in Nebraska can be stopped and ticketed solely for this violation.

- Children up to age 6 must ride correctly secured in a federally approved child safety seat (applies to all seating positions)

- A violation will carry a $25 fine and one point will be assessed against the operator's driving record.

- Children up to age 18 are prohibited from riding in cargo areas.

- Child care providers must transport all children securely in an appropriate safety seat or safety belt.


  • Read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your child safety seat and the vehicle owner's manual.
  • No more than one finger's width of slack between the child's collar bone & the harness strap.
  • The harness retainer clip should be at arm pit level.
  • The safety seat should be installed tight. No more than one inch of movement side to side or front to back, AT THE BELT PATH.
  • Children should ride in a rear facing safety seat until they are at least one year of age AND weighing 20 pounds or more.
  • NEVER place a rear-facing child safety seat the front seat of a vehicle equipped with an air bag.
  • If a forward facing child MUST be placed in a seating position with an air bag, move the seat as far back as possible, out of the bags path.
  • Older children, generally ages 4-8 and 40 -80 pounds should ride in a booster seat. Be certain they have upper body protection and head support. Some vehicles have no shoulder belts or head restraints in the back seats.

All children 12 and under should ride in the back seat; the safest place. Proper installation is important for your child's safety.Check our web site for the next Child Safety Seat check up near you or contact a Nationally Certified Technician for assistance.