Quick Links
Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Offical NE Website
default rotator image
default masthead image tranparent rotator image

Home > breadcrumbs: Administration > breadcrumbs: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) >


Ajax Loading Image


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Q: I have a citation to pay, how do I go about paying it?

A: The Nebraska State Patrol does not collect fines for citations. Fines are paid to the County in which the citation is written. The Nebraska Judicial Branch does allow you to pay your citations on-line. Please click on the following link: Waiverable Citation Payment System. You will need your citation (ticket) in order to complete the process. If you don’t have your citation(ticket) you may access the following link to gather the information  <http://www.courtreference.com/Nebraska-Courts.htm >.  

Q: Where can I get a copy of my accident report?

A: Accident reports for the State of Nebraska are kept by the Nebraska Department of Roads, Department of Records. You may call them at (402) 479-4645 or view the information on their website at the following link: Accident Reports

Q: Does Nebraska Recognize Concealed Handgun Permits from other states?

A: As of August 30, 2009, Nebraska will recognize CCW permits issued by those states on the list below which the Nebraska Attorney General has determined have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska. This recognition extends ONLY to persons who are NOT residents of Nebraska. This change in the law allows non-resident permit holders from the approved states to carry concealed in Nebraska the same as if they held a Nebraska permit. No registration or issuance of a Nebraska permit is necessary. The same limits and restrictions apply that currently apply to Nebraska permit holders. You can review the regulations (which are in the process of being updated for some recent changes in the law) on the Nebraska State Patrol website under Programs/Services and then Conceal Carry. At this time there are no reciprocity agreements to recognize the Nebraska permit in other states although some states are currently recognizing the Nebraska permit voluntarily. Below is an excerpt of a letter from the Nebraska Attorney General:

Based on our analysis, the following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statute.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota (class one permit), Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode-Island, South Carolina, South Dakota (enhanced permit) Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming and the District of Columbia.

The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statute but only to the extent the permit holder in that state is twenty-one (21) years of age or older;

California, Iowa, Maine, Montana, and Texas.

With regards to the state of Iowa, the Iowa "non-professional" permit is recognized as meeting standards equal to or greater than those contained in Nebraska's statute, but only to the extent the permit holder in Iowa is twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Nebraska does not recognize the Iowa "professional" permit, as it does not meet or exceed the standards in the Nebraska Statute.

The state of Vermont does allow the carrying of concealed firearms within its borders, but it does not require a permit to do so. As a result there is no permit to recognize.

Unapproved States
The following states will not be recognized at this time because the Attorney General has determined that they do not have standards that are equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statute:

Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota (class 2 permit), Pennsylvania, South Dakota (regular permit) and Washington.

Permits held by retired law enforcement officers as provided by HR218 will continued to be honored. For individuals from those states not recognized by the state of Nebraska., we do not object to persons bringing their weapons into the state of Nebraska while traveling through our state. We do, however ask that people transport their weapons unloaded, encased and inaccessible for all passengers in the vehicle.

Q. I need to get my fingerprints taken, where do I go?

A: The Nebraska State Patrol provides fingerprinting as a service to the public at all six Troop Areas across the state. Below is a list of Troop Areas and address where you may go to get your fingerprints taken.

  • Criminal Identification Office- 3800 NW 12th Street, Suite A, Lincoln-Call for appointment (402) 479-4971 Monday-Friday from 8:00a.m.-4:20p.m. Nebraska State Statute determines what fingerprint services are provided. For a list of covered statutes visit the Fingerprint Appointments link
  • Troop A Headquarters- 4411 South 108th Street, Omaha - Monday-Friday from 8:00a.m.-4:00p.m. Walk-ins only.
  • Troop B Headquarters- 1401 W.Eisenhower Avenue, Norfolk - Monday- Thursday, 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m. Call for an appointment (402) 370-3456
  • Troop C Headquarters- 3431 Old Potash Highway, Grand Island - Appointment taken Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday's. Call for an appointment (308) 385-6000
  • Troop D Headquarters- 300 W. South River Road, North Platte - Monday-Thursday, 8:00-4:00p.m. Call for an appointment (308) 535-6604
  • Troop E Headquarters- 4500 Avenue I, Scottsbluff - Monday & Wednesday only 8:00-4:00 p.m..(MT). Call for an appointment (308) 632-1214

Q. I need a copy of a criminal history, how do I go about getting one?

A: The public may request a record of Arrest and Prosecution (RAP) sheet for individuals. The RAP sheet includes arrests and resulting dispositions. Dispositions are the result of the adjudication process and may include convictions, null pros, acquittals and nullified convictions through set-asides and pardons.

You may request a report, by mail, in person, or online. For detailed information on requesting a criminal history visit the Criminal History Report page of the NSP website.

Or, call (402) 479-4971 for more information

The request must include the following information about the individual

  • Last name
  • First name
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security number (if available)

Is my teenager allowed to drive in Nebraska with his/her out of state driver's permit?

A: The State of Nebraska honors licenses/permits issued by other states provided all the provisions of the license or permit are followed (such as being accompanied by a parent, etc.).

Q. How do I find out if there is a sex offender living in my neighborhood?

The Nebraska State Patrol Sex Offender Registry (SOR) found on the Nebraska State Patrol website, provides a list of all registered sex offenders living in the state of Nebraska. The list is searchable in numerous ways. A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) can also be found on the SOR webpage.

The information provided by the Sex Offender Registry is to be used to provide public notice and information about a registrant so a community can develop constructive plans to prepare themselves and their family.

Sex Offender Registry information shall not be used to retaliate against the registrants, their families, or their employers in any way. Vandalism, verbal or written threats of harm are illegal and will result in arrest and prosecution. In the Quick Links box above, you will find a link to the Sex Offender Registry.

Q. Is there a place I can look up traffic laws?

A: You may look up all laws by visiting the Nebraska Unicameral website.

Q. Does Nebraska Have a Motorcycle Helmet Law?

A: Yes, State Statute 60-6,279.


Q. How do I file a Public Information Request?

A: Public Records requests should be in writing and can be:

  • Faxed to the attention of the Nebraska State Patrol Legal Division at
  • Emailed to: kari.schmidt@nebraska.gov
  • Mailed to: Nebraska State Patrol
    Legal Division- Public Records Request
    P.O.. Box 94907
    Lincoln, Nebraska


Q. What is Nebraska's Law when it comes to Child Restraints?

A: Nebraska's child passenger restraint and occupant protection law is a primary law. Any person driving in Nebraska can be stopped and ticketed solely for this violation.

- Children up to age 6 must ride correctly secured in a federally approved child safety seat (applies to all seating positions)

- A violation will carry a $25 fine and one point will be assessed against the operator's driving record.

- Children up to age 18 are prohibited from riding in cargo areas.

- Child care providers must transport all children securely in an appropriate safety seat or safety belt.


  • Read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your child safety seat and the vehicle owner's manual.
  • No more than one finger's width of slack between the child's collar bone & the harness strap.
  • The harness retainer clip should be at arm pit level.
  • The safety seat should be installed tight. No more than one inch of movement side to side or front to back, AT THE BELT PATH.
  • Children should ride in a rear facing safety seat until they are at least one year of age AND weighing 20 pounds or more.
  • NEVER place a rear-facing child safety seat the front seat of a vehicle equipped with an air bag.
  • If a forward facing child MUST be placed in a seating position with an air bag, move the seat as far back as possible, out of the bags path.
  • Older children, generally ages 4-8 and 40 -80 pounds should ride in a booster seat. Be certain they have upper body protection and head support. Some vehicles have no shoulder belts or head restraints in the back seats.

All children 12 and under should ride in the back seat; the safest place. Proper installation is important for your child's safety.Check our web site for the next Child Safety Seat check up near you or contact a Nationally Certified Technician for assistance.

Sub Navigation



Nebraska State Patrol

  • Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • YouTube Icon
footer imagetranparent footer image

Nebraska State Patrol1600 Highway 2Lincoln, NE  68502

PH: 402-471-4545

Nebraska.govPrivacy and Security Policies

Back To Top