AMBER Alert Memoradum of Understanding
This agreement governs the use of the Nebraska AMBER Plan – a collaborative effort between Nebraska law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, and the Nebraska AMBER Plan Committee for the response to the abduction of children.
“AMBER” is an acronym for America’s Missing: Emergency Broadcast Response, and is a protocol for alerting the public of a child abduction to solicit information useful in the investigation and recovery of abducted children.
The use of the Nebraska AMBER Plan is permitted by law enforcement agencies upon the following circumstances:
1. Agencies have established a Standard Operating Procedure governing the use of the Nebraska AMBER Plan, and:
2. Agencies’ representatives have been trained on the criteria for the activation, as well as the review process, and:
3. The agencies agree to submit the proposed Alert to the Nebraska State Patrol with the understanding that an AMBER Alert Verification Officer will then confirm the AMBER criteria have been met before issuing the Alert; and
4. The agencies agree not to trigger any alert where all criteria as outlined in the plan have not been met, and:
5. The agencies have trained officers to activate the Nebraska AMBER Plan and have provided the Nebraska AMBER Plan Committee with that contact information, and:
6. The agencies understand that if they do not have a trained representative they cannot issue an AMBER Alert.
The Nebraska AMBER Plan is to be used by Nebraska Broadcasters upon the following circumstances:
1. The stations have established a Standard Operating Procedure governing the receipt and broadcast of AMBER Alerts, and:
2. The stations have voluntarily agreed to broadcast AMBER Alerts issued by Nebraska law enforcement as received through EAS.
NEBRASKA AMBER PLAN COMMITTEE
The AMBER Plan Committee:
1. Agrees to monitor the Nebraska AMBER Plan from the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office, and to review all alerts to ensure compliance with the criteria, and:
2. Agrees to maintain the conduit through which to file suggestions or grievances pertaining to the use of the Nebraska AMBER Plan, and:
3. Agrees to be liaison with Nebraska broadcasters, Nebraska State Patrol, and Nebraska law enforcement to administer the Nebraska AMBER Plan.
The terms and conditions of this agreement shall become effective on the date that the representative of the requesting party signs this agreement. The provisions of this agreement shall remain in full force and effect until such time that this agreement is modified or terminated by the parties.
Broadcast Station or Law Enforcement Agency Date
Nebraska AMBER Plan Committee Chair Date